Episode #14, “CDC Maskdemic, The Research.”
When we read over the guidelines from the CDC, studies, and reports, we must pay careful attention to the words used as they change the meaning dramatically.
In this episode, I will cover CDC pages and cited articles used to drive policy across our nation and the world.
Subscribe to my Free Newsletter and keep current with my new work as it unfolds. Or considered a Paid Subscription and receive access to members only content.
1. CDC. Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19): Preventing. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/cloth-face-cover-guidance.html (2020).
2. Higgins-Dunn, W. F., Noah. Asymptomatic spread of coronavirus is ‘very rare,’ WHO says. CNBC https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/08/asymptomatic-coronavirus-patients-arent-spreading-new-infections-who-says.html (2020).
3. Johnson, D. F., Druce, J. D., Birch, C. & Grayson, M. L. A quantitative assessment of the efficacy of surgical and N95 masks to filter influenza virus in patients with acute influenza infection. Clin. Infect. Dis. Off. Publ. Infect. Dis. Soc. Am. 49, 275–277 (2009).
4. Davies, A. et al. Testing the efficacy of homemade masks: would they protect in an influenza pandemic? Disaster Med. Public Health Prep. 7, 413–418 (2013).
5. Covidhealthtracker. Covidhealthtracker https://covidhealthtracker.com/ (2020).
6. Measuring Pressure Drop Across Protective Mask. Validyne Engineering https://www.validyne.com/blog/measuring-pressure-drop-across-protective-mask/ (2015).
7. Face coverings and face masks | Ontario.ca. Ontario.ca https://www.ontario.ca/page/face-coverings-and-face-masks (2020).
8. Bai, Y. et al. Presumed Asymptomatic Carrier Transmission of COVID-19. JAMA 323, 1406–1407 (2020).
9. UW Medicine halts use of coronavirus testing kits airlifted from China after some had contamination. The Seattle Times https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/health/uw-medicine-halts-use-of-coronavirus-testing-kits-airlifted-from-china-after-some-had-contamination/ (2020).
10. Wyllie, A. L. et al. Saliva is more sensitive for SARS-CoV-2 detection in COVID-19 patients than nasopharyngeal swabs. medRxiv 2020.04.16.20067835 (2020) doi:10.1101/2020.04.16.20067835.
11. The Ebola Test’s Inventor Says The Test Is Unreliable. Transmissions http://transmissionsmedia.com/the-ebola-tests-inventor-says-the-test-is-unreliable/ (2014).
12. How REDCap is being used in response to COVID-19 – REDCap. REDCap https://projectredcap.org/covid/.
13. Ma, Q.-X. et al. Potential utilities of mask-wearing and instant hand hygiene for fighting SARS-CoV-2. J. Med. Virol. (2020) doi:10.1002/jmv.25805.
14. Caceres, M. Pfizer and BioNTech Begin Human Clinical Trials of COVID-19… The Vaccine Reaction https://thevaccinereaction.org/2020/05/pfizer-and-biontech-begin-human-clinical-trials-of-covid-19-vaccine-in-u-s/ (2020).
15. National Academies of Sciences, E. Rapid Expert Consultation on the Possibility of Bioaerosol Spread of SARS-CoV-2 for the COVID-19 Pandemic (April 1, 2020). (2020). doi:10.17226/25769.
16. Wei, W. E. et al. Presymptomatic Transmission of SARS-CoV-2 — Singapore, January 23–March 16, 2020. MMWR Morb. Mortal. Wkly. Rep. 69, 411–415 (2020).
17. Richard Read. A choir decided to go ahead with rehearsal. Now dozens of members have COVID-19 and two are dead. Los Angeles Times https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-03-29/coronavirus-choir-outbreak (2020).
18. Konda, A. et al. Aerosol Filtration Efficiency of Common Fabrics Used in Respiratory Cloth Masks. ACS Nano 14, 6339–6347 (2020).
19. Leung, N. H. L. et al. Respiratory virus shedding in exhaled breath and efficacy of face masks. Nat. Med. 26, 676–680 (2020).
20. Chace Beech. Three California churches sue Newsom over singing ban. MSN https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/three-california-churches-sue-newsom-over-singing-ban/ar-BB16PBsc (2020).
21. Oran, D. P. & Topol, E. J. Prevalence of Asymptomatic SARS-CoV-2 Infection: A Narrative Review. Ann. Intern. Med. (2020) doi:10.7326/M20-3012.
22. Walk in Verse. 5G: A Blessing or a Curse. buzzsprout https://www.buzzsprout.com/906265/3254200-5g-a-blessing-or-a-curse (2020).
23. Laila, C. California to Release 18,000 Prisoners by End of August to ‘Slow the Spread of COVID-19’. The Gateway Pundit https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2020/07/california-release-18000-prisoners-end-august-slow-spread-covid-19/ (2020).
24. Furukawa, N. W., Brooks, J. T. & Sobel, J. Evidence Supporting Transmission of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 While Presymptomatic or Asymptomatic – Volume 26, Number 7—July 2020 – Emerging Infectious Diseases journal – CDC. Emerg. Infect. Dis. 26, (2020).
25. What is a Rapid Review? – Systematic Reviews & Other Review Types – Research Guides at Temple University. Temple University Libraries https://guides.temple.edu/c.php?g=78618&p=4156608 (2020).
26. Aydin, O. et al. Performance of Fabrics for Home-Made Masks Against the Spread of Respiratory Infections Through Droplets: A Quantitative Mechanistic Study. medRxiv 2020.04.19.20071779 (2020) doi:10.1101/2020.04.19.20071779.