In episode #11, “First Amendment: Freedom of Religion & Tyrants,” I will discuss what the first amendment is and how the states must adhere to it. In addition, I will explain how governors across the United States are in contempt of the Constitution and are using this crisis to abuse their power.
1. CDC. Preliminary In-Season 2019-2020 Flu Burden Estimates. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm (2020).
2. Kallingal, M. Ankle monitors ordered for Louisville, Kentucky residents exposed to Covid-19 who refuse to stay home. CNN https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/03/us/kentucky-coronavirus-residents-ankle-monitors-trnd/index.html (2020).
3. GENERAL, A. Federal Law Protections for Religious Liberty. (2017).
4. Miller, A. M. Baptist church members given $500 tickets for listening to church service in their cars via radio in parking lot. Washington Examiner https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/baptist-church-members-given-500-tickets-for-listening-to-church-service-in-their-cars-via-radio-in-parking-lot (2020).
5. Colen, A. AG William Barr warns states against singling out religious gatherings when enforcing social distancing. TheBlaze https://www.theblaze.com/news/ag-william-barr-warns-states-against-singling-out-religious-gatherings-when-enforcing-social-distancing (2020).
6. First Amendment.
7. Amendment 1.
8. Flynn, M. & Stanley-Becker, I. Kansas Gov. Laura Kelly sues GOP lawmakers for revoking her order limiting church gatherings. Washington Post https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/04/10/kansas-governor-lawsuit-coronavirus/ (2020).
9. Ernst, D. Minneapolis grants noise permit for ‘historic’ Ramadan call to prayer in major U.S. city. The Washington Times https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/apr/24/minneapolis-grants-noise-permit-for-historic-ramad/ (2020).
10. 14th Amendment. LII / Legal Information Institute.
11. Establishment Clause. LII / Legal Information Institute.
12. Free Exercise Clause. LII / Legal Information Institute.
13. Incorporation Doctrine. LII / Legal Information Institute.
14. Due Process. LII / Legal Information Institute.
15. First Amendment and Religion. United States Courts.
16. Wallace, D. Louisiana pastor breaks house arrest to hold Sunday service amid coronavirus stay-at-home orders. Fox News https://www.foxnews.com/us/louisiana-pastor-house-arrest-stay-at-home-order-coronavirus-tony-spell (2020).
17. Coleman, J. Louisiana pastor defies stay-at-home order, house arrest to hold services. MSN https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/louisiana-pastor-defies-stay-at-home-order-house-arrest-to-hold-services/ar-BB13ebmr (2020).
18. Hall, C. Bill de Blasio Threatens to Arrest Mourning Jewish Citizens. Mediaite https://www.mediaite.com/news/mayor-bill-de-blasio-catches-hell-for-threatening-to-arrest-jewish-citizens-who-gather-in-large-groups/ (2020).
19. Freedom of Religion and the Establishment Clause. LawShelf Educational Media https://lawshelf.com/coursewarecontentview/freedom-of-religion-and-the-establishment-clause/.
20. Ducharme, J. This Past Flu Season Was the Longest in 10 Years, the CDC Says. Time https://time.com/5610878/2018-2019-flu-season/ (2019).